Who am I?
Hi, my name is Jemma Young – the creator and artist for “Children of Eldair.” I grew up on a small farm in Utah and I’m a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I have been drawing comics since I was eight. I loved drawing comics so much that when I was in junior high, my friends and I created an all-girls comic team and posted our work online for anyone to see. Even after we went our own ways, I continued to draw and create stories for fun. During my second year in college, I was a part of TokyoPop’s Pilot Program – which sought out new talented comic writers and artists and published them online. I did the penciling, inking, toning, and lettering for the first chapter of “Mom’s Best Friend.”
In 2011, I decided to do the first sixteen pages of “Children of Eldair” for my senior project. I enjoyed it so much that I decided to turn it into a webcomic which has been running for over 10 years with over 600 pages of content and over 150,000 subscribers online. I also work on my fancomic “Zelda’s Lullaby” and other comic projects. Since graduating college I’ve done freelance illustration, kickstarter consulting, and other cool creative projects.
Things I enjoy:
- Table Top Role Playing
- Fantasy Comics
- Making pretty things
- Brandon Sanderson
- Avatar the Last Airbender
- Legend of Zelda
- Baahubali (This is currently on Netflix. Watch it.)
What do I make?
I like to make a LOT of things. But my greatest passion is writing and drawing comics. I’m currently working on an epic fantasy isekai adventure called Children of Eldair. I also found myself working on a Zelda fancomic in my spare time where Link finds himself an adopted father to a 10 month old Zelda. Both of these comics are free to read online!
I also like to be creative in other ways, including designing pins, making stickers, designing artbooks and more. My usual go-to for fun creative works is to draw illustrations based on Brandon Sanderson’s Stormlight Archive. You can buy many of my creative explorations on my online store, including some beautiful art prints.
Running a business, drawing comics, running Kickstarter, all that stuff takes a lot of work! I’m so incredibly blessed to have some fantastic people who support me in my creative pursuits and make it possible for me to do all this amazing stuff.
- Jacob: My amazing husband and web master. He’s the guy who keeps me sane and tells me I should probably not take on that millionth extra project. He’s awesome!
- Karin Kay: My assistant who does all the things I don’t feel like doing! She’s awesome and usually handles all the fulfillment, helping with Kickstarters, and making stickers. She also designs some of the pins and makes really good chili.
- A-Chan: My daughter who helps out with filling orders and putting pins on backing cards. She’s also responsible for the pokeball terrariums we bring to conventions. Due to her undeniable cute factor, she probably makes more sales than I do!
- R-Kun: My son who likes to break things and remind me that there are more important things than work! Also, has a deep appreciation for robots and Minecraft.
I love hearing from fans and friends! If you have any questions about comics, art, and crowdfunding, feel free to send me a message below: